The painting on this label depicts a Sumatran elephant leaving St. Joseph Island via the St. Joseph Island bridge. The lighthouse, if you look closely, is marked with the red and white stripes of the Indonesian flag. The IUCN has declared Sumatran Elephants as Critically Endangered, mainly due to loss of habitat, and human/elephant conflict.
Farmer Cooperative: Permata Gayo, Bener Meriah district of the Aceh Province in Sumatra, Indonesia.
Fast Facts (Cooperative Coffees) about Permata Gayo Coop:
- Founded in 2006
- Begins exporting through Mandago (local exporter) in 2007
- Certified Organic and FLO in 2008
- Begins exporting directly in May 2009
- Members: 3,000 (4,500 hectares of land)
- Region: Bener Meriah
- Elevation: 1,200 to 1,650 m
- Harvest Season: October to June